In the name of ALLAH,
the Beneficent, the Merciful
IT MAY BE ZABIHA, BUT IS IT HALAL?
DEAR BROTHER AND SISTERS IN ISLAM
Before you sink your teeth into the next Zabiha slaughtered meat product, ask yourself:
Is it Halal?
This is a question most Muslims dont think to ask. The issue of Halal meat has been a bone of contention amongst the Muslim communities in UK.
Muslims argue that the meat of the Jews and Christians is Halal for
Muslims. Others say the meat must be slaughtered according to Islamic
rites for it to be fit for Muslim consumption.
As a Muslim, we must try our utmost to practice Islam in its entirety. Islam has given injunctions to eat Halal/Zabiha according to Islamic dietary laws- meaning eating the meat slaughtered by a Muslim according to the Islamic mode of slaughtering. Meat available in supermarkets and fast food restaurants is not slaughtered according to the Islamic method of slaughtering (Zabiha).
Those who eat the regular meat at in those restaurants argue that it is permissible because it is the food of the people of the book (namely Jews and Christians). As a matter of fact there is so much of a controversy about the regular meat of the supermarket as to whether it can be considered as the food of the people of The book or not.
Allah, with His immense mercy, did provide a provision to eat the food of the people of the book. But it is an exception to the rule. Halal/Zabiha meat slaughtered by a Muslim is the meat we as a practicing Muslim eat all the time. In case of absolute emergency and necessity (meaning non-availability of the Halal/Zabiha meat for this emergency and necessity), one may partake the food of the people of the book.
When the Halal/Zabiha meat is available so abundantly, why should one indulge in something, which is controversial? Does a Muslim have to whet his/her appetite with something controversial/ doubtful when there is Halal/Zabiha available? Is eating in the fast food restaurant that important? Halal/Zabiha is the Muslim identity. Is it worth loosing this identity by succumbing to our appetite for eating regular meat? While we cannot say that the regular meat is Haram, yet it certainly cannot be said that it is the best choice for a practicing Muslim. Be proud of our identity and maintain it by eating only Halal/ Zabiha slaughtered by Muslims according to the Islamic method of slaughtering. It is closer to piety
But whats often ignored is that regardless of whether you choose to eat Zabiha or not, the meat of the animal itself may not be Halal.
Mechanical slaughter is of three types:
THE USE OF ELECTRIC SHOCK ON ANIMALS
regards to meat that is not slaughtered according to Islamic rites,
it is not Halal because of the effect electric shock (stunning) on
In regular meat slaughterhouses, animals are brought into an alley and given an electric shock (stunned) before Dhabh (slaughtering) to the head to make them unconscious. The animals legs are then tied up and it is hung upside down. A knife is put to its neck, and then it is slaughtered. The animal is then temporarily left alone to allow the blood to drain from its body. From there, the meat is processed. But using electric shock (stunning), means that all of the animals blood does not leave its body, because electric shock (stunning) affects the central nervous system and as many of the animal are die from effect of stunning.
On the contrary, if an animal is slaughtered in accordance with Islamic guidelines, the central nervous system works properly, and the entire animals blood comes out.
Remaining blood in the animal is a source of fermentation and destruction of meat quality. This means bacteria can grow easily on the meat. From an Islamic perspective, it is Haram to eat meat-containing blood, and dead animal as it is clearly stated in the Quran that Muslims cannot consume blood.
THE CONDITIONS OF HALAL
"Halal is Halal if the following conditions are taken into consideration,
The first is that the animal is itself is Halal. That means no pork, for instance.
The second is that the food the animal consumes does not contain any blood, meat and animal protein. The animal has to be herbivorous to be Halal; an animal becomes Haram if it consumes blood and /or meat or their by-products and animal protein (for food). If this occurs, according the Fuqaha (Islamic law Sharia) these animals are Lahm Al-Jallalah. They have specific digestive enzymes for vegetarian food but not for animal protein. If you break the laws of Nature, then you cannot blame Nature for the consequences. "Islam dictates that if an animal has received meat and/or blood (for food) while it was Halal, it becomes Haram and in order to become Halal you have to put that animal in a quarantine purification period of three to forty days in order to clean their system and to offer them their natural diet as herbivores (grass, plants, and vegetables) area before you slaughter it to make it Halal".
If this is not respected, "that animal will contain the disease called Mad Cow Disease, or others" Muhammad (saw) has prohibited Muslim from eating the meat, eggs and drinking the milk of al-jallalah. All considered IZRA. Al-jallalah is any herbivore (cattle, sheep etc.), which is the meat of an animal or any filthy substance.
The third condition for an animal to be Halal is that it should not be given any hormones.
In the meat industry, he says beef and chicken are given female sex hormones. This is meant to increase the weight of the animal in a short period of time.
The effect of consuming an animal with injected female hormones is a reduction in the masculine appearance of boys and men. It also reduces sexual appetite, adding that this of course would not happen by eating just one meal containing meat. Rather, it can result when people are consuming meat daily, and "KFC and and MacDonalds" as two examples.
But eaters of Zabiha meat should not get on a high horse either: even if an animal is slaughtered in the Islamic manner, it will still contain these hormones.
PRESERVATIVES ADD TO THE LETHAL MEAT MIX
The meat industry also puts the preservatives nitrite or nitrate in meat. These react with the amino group of amino acids of the meat or protein to produce nitro so-amine. This is red pigment. This results in meat still looking red in its color, as if it is fresh, even if it has been on the shelf for one or two weeks. While this may be good for industry, but it causes cancer.
Animal food containing meat and blood, as well as dangerous hormones and preservatives leads one thing. "If that animal has been fed all of the above, then it is no longer Halal, even if a Muslim goes to the farm and slaughters the animal in the name of Allah, [it] does not make the animal Halal."
HORMONES IN MILK TOO
In February 1994, the United States Food and Drug Administration (USDA) approved the use of another hormone for cows-estrogen. This was used to increase milk bladder size and milk excretion resulting in greater production of milk in a shorter period of time.
Estrogen can cause cancer of the breast and other cancers in general. This is particularly frightening when we consider that many people drink milk daily, and consume its by-products like milk, cheese and cookies. While the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) demanded that farms put the label EST on milk cartons if they use estrogen on cows, the milk industry convinced the FDA to forego putting this label. That means you dont know if the milk you drink contains estrogen or not. Consider what is happening here in UK!
CONSIDER SOME FORM OF VEGETARIANISM
The option is simply eating a vegetable-based diet, as opposed to a meat based one. While Islam has not forbidden meat eating, it also has not made it a religious requirement to consume meat on a daily basis. Moderation in eating, as is the case with other aspects of life, is the key, according to Islam. By opting for a more vegetable-based diet, this will reduce the meat intake of individuals, and lessen the amount of hormones and other dangerous chemicals ingested indirectly because of the meat. Current science and health research has also found eating a vegetarian diet can be healthier for you.
EATING ORGANIC FOODS
Meat, dairy products and eggs that are from animals, which have been fed with organic food, is also an option for those who want to keep eating meat. Organic livestock are not given antibiotics or hormones. They are given products that have been derived from natural sources. While organic foods may be more expensive than meat bought at the supermarket, the fact that its free of cancer-causing ingredients is well worth the cost if you want to maintain your meat eating. Organic foods can be bought at natural foods stores, the health food sections and produce departments of supermarkets and at farmers markets.
NOW ARE YOU AWARE OF WHAT IS HAPPENING IN YOUR LOCAL BUTCHER SHOP. 95% OF ALL BUTCHERS ARE SELLING STUNNED CHICKEN OR Al-JALLALAH.
THE REASON FOR THIS IS: -
1. THE STUNNED CHICKENS ARE CHEAP.
2. BECAUSE THE POUND IS STRONG THEY ARE IMPORTING CHICKENS FROM EUROPE AND OTHER PARTS OF THE WORLD. MOST OF THE CHICKENS ARE NOT EVEN HALAL.
3. MOST CHICKEN PRODUCT ESPECIALLY COMING FROM HOLLAND AND DENMARK ARE INJECTED WITH 25% TO 49% WATER AND 5% TO 7% ADDITIVES WHICH MAKES IT VERY CHEAP.
4. THERE IS NOWHERE IN EUROPE WHERE YOU CAN SLAUGHTER CHICKENS WITHOUT STUNNING. (EXCEPT U.K)
5. THERE ARE SOME VERY WELL KNOWN SO CALLED HALAL MEAT AND POULTRY COMPANIES WHO BRING IN HARAM PRODUCTS FROM EASTERN EUROPE AND PACK IT IN THEIR BOXES AND SELL IT AS HALAL.
WE MUST STOP THESE CHEATS
WE MUST GET TOGETHER AND STOP THESE CHEATS FROM FEEDING THE MUSLIMS ON HARAM MEAT.
FIRST I MUST TELL YOU THE LAW IN UK. UNITED KINGDOM IS THE ONLY COUNTRY IN EUROPE WHICH ALLOWS MUSLIMS AND JEWS NOT TO STUN THE ANIMALS BEFORE SLAUGHTERING THEM.SO THERE IS NO NEED TO STUN.
WHY THEN THEY DO IT! ! !
THIS IS WHAT YOU SHOULD DO:
1. ASK THE SHOP OWNER WHERE HE GETS HIS CHICKENS. [INVOICE, DELIVERY NOTE, EEC NUMBER OF THE SLAUGHTERHOUSE (This is very important)]
2. ASK HIM TO PRODUCE A HALAL CERTIFICATE SAYS; SLAUGHTERED WITHOUT STUNNING.
3. ASK THEM WHEN THER ARE SHORT OF CHICKEN WHER THEY GET THER SUPPLY FROM
MOST CERTIFICATES ARE AS FOLLOWS: -
1. I MOHAMMED TAHIR CERTIFY THAT ALL CHICKEN, HEN, AND TURKEY MEAT PRODUCED BY FRANK BIRD POULTRY IS FROM BIRDS OF HALAL ORIGIN MADE BY MYSELF, AND IS SUPPLIED TO HENHOUSE WHOLESALE.
2. THIS IS TO CERTIFY THAT CHICKEN PRODUCTS REFERRED TO BE FROM CHICKEN PROCESSED AT SOVEREIGN FOOD GROUP LTD ATTLEBOROUGH, NORFOLK AND HAS BEEN SLAUGHTERED ACCORDING TO ISLAMIC RITE AS PER RULINGS OF ISLAMIC SHARIAH OF ALLAH AND PROPHET MOHAMMED PEACE IS UPON HIM. THIS HAS BEEN DONE AND SUPERVISED BY OUR MUSLIM SLAUGHTERMAN MR. MOHAMMED NAZIR.
3. THIS IS TO CERTIFY THAT PENWOOD POULTRY LTD IS SLAUGHTERING CHICKEN UNDER STRICT ISLAMIC RULES AND REGULATIONS THIS SLAUGHTERING OF CHICKEN TO BE HALAL IS PERFORMED BY MUSLIM EMPLOYEES UNDER STRICT INSTRUCTION BY N.A.S.I.M. THEREFORE, IT IS GUARANTEED THAT THE CHICKEN SUPPLIED BY PENWOOD COMPANY ARE 100% HALAL.
4. OUR POULTRY SLAUGHTERER MR RASHID SLAUGHTERS ALL OUR PRODUCE AND IS SLAUGHTERED IN THE HALAL WAY. (IVAN HOUSLEY POULTRY)
5. HALAL FOOD AUTHORITY LICENCE THIS IS TO CERTIFY THAT HAVING FULFILLED THE HFA RULES, FREEMANS OF NEWENT ARE PRODUCING FRESH CHICKEN BY SLAUGHTERING WITH HALAL METHODS AND IN COMPLIANCE OF MAFF AND EC REGULATIONS CHAIRMAN G.SIDDIQI PRESIDENT MASOOD KHAWAJA
YOU WILL SEE EVERY TYPE OF HALAL CERTIFICATES BUT YOU WILL ONLY SEE VERY FEW CERTIFICATES, WHICH SAY;
SLAUGHTERED WITHOUT STUNNING.
ALL THE ABOVE COMPANIES STUN THEIR CHICKENS, WHICH MEANS OUR MUSLIM BROTHERS ARE PAID VERY WELL TO WRITE THESE CERTIFICATES.
ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS INSIST ON A HALAL CERTIFICATE WHICH HAVE THE FOLLOWING THE WORDS:
SLAUGHTERED WITHOUT STUNNING
IF NOT BOYCOTT THIS SHOP UNTIL HE PRODUCES THE CERTIFICATE. AFTER GETTING A COPY OF THE CERTIFICATE PLEASE POST ME A COPY, I WILL THEN CHECK THE SLAUGHTER HOUSE OUT TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE GENUINE AND POST YOU THE RESULTS.
BY TAKING THIS ACTION, WE WILL BE LETTING THE SHOP KEEPER KNOW THAT WE WILL NOT ACCEPT ANY MORE STUNNED MEAT, THAT WE ARE ENTITLED TO PROPER UN-STUNNED HALAL MEAT.
HALAL OR HARAM?
THE CHICKEN IS SUSPENDED ON THE SHACKLE UPSIDE DOWN THEN THE HEAD IS DRAGGED THROUGH A BATH OF ELECTRIFIED WATER, WHICH STUNS THE CHICKEN. THE FOLLOWING THINGS HAPPEN TO THE CHICKEN: -
1. DROWNING AND SUFFOCATION RESULTING IN DEATH.
2. 10% TO 35% DIE (24% in UK, MAFF Report, 17% to 35% in USA) BEFORE REACHING THE POINT OF KILL (SLAUGHTERING) DEPENDING ON THE ELECTRIC VOLTAGE USED.
3. THE HEART IS WEAKENED SO IT CANNOT PUMP OUT ALL THE BLOOD FROM THE BODY. WHEN BLOOD IS LEFT IN THE BODY IT IS VERY HARMFUL TO YOUR HEALTH AS IT CONTAINS TOXINS AND UREA, AND MAY CONTAIN BACTERIA, PARASITES, VIRUSES, NEW CHEMICALS AND DRUGS ETC. BESIDES THIS, BLOOD CAN LEAD TO POISONING WHEN STILL IN MEAT TO BE CONSUMED
4. ELECTRIC STUNNING SEVERELY HURTS THE ANIMAL BECAUSE IT CAUSES AN IMMEDIATE NERVE SHOCK, WHICH CAUSES THE BIRD INTENSE PAIN. THIS IN EFFECT IS AN EXTREME TORTURING FOR THIS POWERLESS BIRD. THOSE WHO STUNNED POULTRY HAVE NO MERCY IN THEIR HEARTS FOR ANIMALS.
ALLAH SAYS IN THE QURAN (CHAPTER 5, VERSE 4): FORBIDDEN TO YOU (FOR FOOD) ARE DEAD ANIMALS, BLOOD, THE FLESH OF SWINE AND THAT OVER WHICH HAS BEEN INVOKED OTHER THAN THE NAME OF ALLAH.
REASONS WHY CHICKENS ARE STUNNED ARE AS FOLLOWS: -
1. YOU CAN DO UP TO 15,000 OR MORE CHICKENS PER HOUR THUS REQUIRING LESS STAFF WHICH MEANS LESS OVERHEADS AND MORE PROFIT FOR THE CHEATING WHOLESALER AND RETAILER.
2. STUNNING RESULTS IN AN INCREASE IN THE WEIGHT OF THE BIRD OF ABOUT 10% OF ITS TOTAL WEIGHT. THE INCREASE DOES NOT BENEFIT THE CONSUMER BECAUSE IT IS CLOTTED BLOOD IN THE VEINS AND ARTERIES.
3. POULTRY SLAUGHTER HOUSES ARE VERY keen TO STUN AS MANY CHICKENS as possible in the least possible TIME AND SO COMMERCIAL INTERESTS HAVE OFTEN BEEN THE OVERRIDING factor.
HOW TO RECOGNISE STUNNED CHICKEN:
1. WHEN THE CHICKENS ARE STUNNED THEY DO NOT FLAP THEIR WINGS, WHICH means you will not find any broken wings.
2. If YOU OPEN UP THE CHICKEN YOU WILL SEE SPECKS OF BLOOD on the inside of the breast fillet.
3. If the stun is severe the wish bone will be broken.
4. The leg meat is dark because blood is still in the meat.
IF YOU REQUIRE FURTHER INFORMATION ON STUNNING PLEASE E-MAIL ME ON:
email@example.com - firstname.lastname@example.org